Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Past People Portraits

Allison

Ages ago a sweet woman named Patty gave me oodles and oodles of vintage photos...such a generous gift for this people painting-loving artist.   I have used them many times as inspiration for my paintings and lately I have been experimenting with these small 5 x 5 inch portraits.  

Picking names can be a challenge at times because most of the photos do not have the people's names on them.  For the portraits in this post I have been naming them after several young ballet dancers who were listed in a ballet program for Alice in Wonderland, which took place over the summer at a nearby park.  I pick a name that seems to fit best with the face in the painting.  I am running out of names, so it is probably time to attend another ballet.  


Grace

Julia
Caroline

Alexis

Abigail
(sold)

Emily

Nadia

Clara and Miranda
I started a new job that is keeping me pretty busy these days.  Not as much time to paint as I would like, but I do make time.  So until next time!

♥ Lisa

14 comments:

  1. All are lovely. It would be interesting to see the old photos on which they were based too. Btw I have changed my profile name you may remember me as Fuzzie Fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carol! I do share the photos from time to time, and sometimes the inspiration is obvious and other times not so much. Thank you so much for your comment! Take care.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the new job!

    I like Emily best but they all have their character don't they? Maybe a list of popular baby names from the past would be helpful?

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby! I have used baby name lists before and it is a great way to get names used in certain time periods. The ballet program was fun to use this time because all the dancers had pretty names.

      Thank you for stopping by, Libby! xoxo

      Delete
  3. It's been awhile since your last post Lisa!!! Missed you and your beautiful art! I love how you take these vintage pictures and make it your own!!!! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hilda! It HAS been a while. It seems hard to find the time to write blog posts, so I tend to share on Instagram and Facebook instead. I know those places aren't for everyone though. Thank you so much for your kind words. I love painting these past people. I wonder if they would approve with how I portrayed them.

      Delete
  4. Very beautiful and expressive portraits !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them all! It's so cool to see them all have their own character!
    Congrats on the new job!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy, thank you! I hope all is well in Canada! xoxo

      Delete
  6. I hope you and yours had a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and are having a very HAPPY NEW YEAR. May we display your header on our new site directory? As it is now, the site title (linked back to its home page) is listed, and we think displaying the header will attract more attention. In any event, we hope you will come by and see what is going on at SiteHoundSniffs.com.

    ReplyDelete