Friday, March 6, 2015

Sketchbooks and Nigel's Flannel Pajamas

sketchbook
oil

As I continue my painting of Nigel and his parents, I have been working in my sketchbooks as well.  Thoughts of spring are obvious in the above oil sketch.  Our new backyard is tiny compared to our old one, which has me thinking of some intimate touches that could be added to emphasize our new cozy space.  I can't wait to see what grows there already so that I can add more.  I am no green thumb, but I do love to plant and take care of a garden.


sketchbook sweetie
graphite

 I am trying to get back into the habit of sketching in my sweetie book (tiny moleskin) at night.  Good habits always seem to get interrupted, however if they are truly good, I try to bring them back.  This habit is good...it often offers inspiration for my paintings.  


detail of oil WIP

The Nigel painting is still in the works.  In my art class we had some discussion on how I could title this painting.  As I mentioned earlier, it is inspired by the song Making Plans for Nigel.  However, there is a gray area on whether I can use the same title or not.  There is all the business of copyrights and intellectual property to consider.  After our discussion about it, my instincts tell me I can use the name Nigel in my title, but I need to reword it somehow...like Plans for Nigel or Nigel's Future or What is Best for Nigel (which would be a spin-off of the song lyrics).  What do you think?

This week I focused on small details:  faces...hands...mom's dress...dad's clothing...


detail of oil WIP
...and some flannel pajamas for Nigel (still in the works).

I hope you have a beautiful weekend and get to stay in your pajamas a lot if you like that sort of thing.  Thank you always for all your wonderful comments and visits.

♥ Lisa

18 comments:

  1. Bonsoir,

    J'aime beaucoup votre première oeuvre... Ces deux verres laissent soupçonner un tête à tête... et mon imagination vagabonde... peut-être ensuite une belle promenade dans cette nature en fête !
    Gros bisous ❦

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a thoughtful post. My eye loves the table and grasses underneath. There is a lovely intimacy about it. Thanks Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty, cozy little garden, very inviting. beautiful!

    in my opinion we all are often inspired by lots of things we see or hear(paintings, music, photos, theater etc), things made by someone else, as long as we don't copy what already exists and use the inspiration to create something completely new,our own vision on it, i can see no problem.

    as for that title, it's so nice the song inspired you, it would be a pitty to give it a complete different title,me too, i would try to find a title with a good hint in it, 'Nigel' would be a good hint to start with
    .
    succes dear Lisa, that last detail of the sleeping boy is beautiful.
    nice weekend to you..

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'We only want what's best for him' that fits as it seems to be what the couple are saying...I love the way they are whispering in audible voices. I don't think you need to name him... you know it's Nigel and that is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's so wonderful that a song inspired this painting. Maybe you could call it 'Nigel's Dreams' - all the little details you include in your paintings are just fabulous.
    I'm so ready to sit outside with a glass of wine - could climb right in your first sketchbook painting . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a joy to see each piece
    you have a unique style which i enjoy
    lovely weekend to you

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of these works are so wonderful Lisa. You amaze me with how quickly you produce these pieces and they each are so special and tell their own unique story in you own unique way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to get into a similar working in a sketchbook habit! This is coming along so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it can be so hard to think of a title and other times it just comes with out having to think. I agree with the comment by Morag from Paper Rainbow. I too think you don't need to name him for the same reason. I think it makes the work more personal,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to sit at that little table in the grass. Your paintings are so good at drawing me in. Nigel is coming along nicely and I like all the titles you suggested but as I read through the comments I love the idea from Judy Shreve...Nigel's Dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like Plans for Nigel ;o) Coming along beautiful my friend ;o) Love your sketch ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'Nigel's Future' sounds good to me and doesn't come near the original title, so no one ca be upset. Love the cosy backyard painting, such a lovely setting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Charming ables and chairs. Nigel's looking good. xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for all the comments everyone. This weekend I spent a lot of time on painting the dad. Painted men are tricky for me since I mostly paint women. For sure the title will have the name Nigel in it because I love the name and it just seems to fit him. Loved reading all your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such wonderful work here my friend. I do love seeing what you are working on.. That is the one thing I miss about having a home. I used to love to work out in the yard. Oh well I am loving our journey thats for sure.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your process tales over the different blogposts Lisa and I guess there is still a lot for me to learn to. So it is great hearing about your process. You seem to grow and grow and I love hearing and seeing that. I am now so wishing I was living closer so I could come and visit to keep up with you and your work. Thank goodness there is such thing as social media.

    ReplyDelete