Thursday, April 3, 2014

Adeline and Sue on a Thursday in 1935

Adeline and Sue on a Thursday in 1935
Mixed media on 16 x 20 inch cradled panel
click photos to enlarge

As long as this painting took to do it was sheer joy from beginning to end.  I used an old photo of two women and it was dated October 17, 1935, but that is all. So I looked up October 17, 1935, but I couldn't find anything significant about that date other than it was a Thursday, thus the title.  I wonder what the ladies in the photo were doing posing in front of a house on a Thursday.  Having tea? 


As you can see, I did decide to cover up the open area in her dress, but not entirely.  Thank you for your feedback on that.  It really helped.  I added flowers too.


Their faces are painted in oil.  I love doing faces in oil.


I layered and sanded a lot.  You can see some of the scratches from the sanding.  I like that look...kind of aged.


The work is on a cradled 1 1/2 inch deep panel...what a nice substrate to work on.  They are a bit pricey and take up a lot of space to store, so I won't be using them often. 


The art looks so different everywhere you photograph it.  This will be listed on Etsy tomorrow and then I will take it to gallery to hang on my wall there.  I am allowed to do both, which is nice.



Hope you are having an amazing week!

♥ Lisa

18 comments:

  1. Her dress has turned out lovely. I do love the titles you give your paintings and it's lovely seeing the photos that have inspired them. I have always shied away from using oils but perhaps I will give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i so LOVE the magic you perform in all your special ways lisa! and what a great old photo! xo oh, and i just LOVE the names you gave your ladies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice tribute to the two ladies!!!!
    I really like the feel and colors, Lisa ( =

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful piece and beautiful inspiration. Thank you for sharing
    http://agagasiniak.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lisa, this is so wonderful! Thank you for sharing the vintage photo that inspired this piece too! You so inspire me as an artist to get out my paints and play!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, just me again. I had to tell you how much I love the piece on your banner. It looks like you in your garden at home, is it not? I recognized your outdoor table and chairs! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, it turned out amazing! Truly amazing!!! The ladies in the vintage photo are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This painting is just wonderful! And I wonder what those two (vintage) ladies were up to on that Thursday so long ago ? ? ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE how you can paint from a photo. And it has your own twist to it. LOVE this my friend. I do hope you have a happy weekend.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has turned out beautifully :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah...successful outcome plus sheer joy doing it, makes a piece of work stand out - not only to the viewer, but in the heart of the artist. Don't you wish every piece always went that way?
    Thanks for showing all the different areas. I had a wonderful time admiring them after enlarging.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Lisa this painting is stunning!!! So full of love put in this one! Those two women have now a new life, hihi.. love that aged look, you have masterd! Not to mention your AMAZING Header..I can´t get my eyes off of it! Mix It Monthly ♥ Conny

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a charming piece and photograph
    i love the cabin as well~

    ReplyDelete
  14. very original and quirky interpretation of the photo Lisa.
    i like the way you painted the windows and the roof.
    very warm painting.

    and the header!!, just love her expression and the green in this work, beautiful !
    x

    ReplyDelete