Friday, July 5, 2013

Bernadette's Bedroom

Bernadette's Bedrrom
11 x 14 inch oil on panel

This is an oil painting I started before I left for North Carolina and it is now finished.  In the beginning the background was just one big curtain, but it seemed so boring so I put in a smaller window and flowered wallpaper.  The carpet design was made by scratching squiggly lines into the paint.  I used a palette knife for the curtains and the bedspread. I thought about putting a vase of flowers or something on the nightstand, but decided to just leave it.  The wonderful thing about painting is you can always change it later if you want to.   I am getting more comfortable with oils the more I use them.  

Close up of Bernadette's Bedroom

My trip to North Carolina with my friends Carol and Kelly was a great time!  One evening, we spent some time drawing and I walked them through the steps of drawing a face with charcoal.  I think they did fabulous!  I really love teaching people how to draw faces, because they always seem to get so into it and really enjoy the process.  

Our drawings:
Carol's, Mine and Kelly's

Every year at our house we throw a July 4th party to celebrate Independence Day and this year we had around 40 people come.  We cooked on the grill, listened to live music...our son plays keyboards for a band and my mother and father in-law have their own 2 person band.  We also watch fireworks and it is so relaxing to sit in a lawn chair and watch our fireworks and all the others around our neighborhood.  Our street is full of families that really like to celebrate so it's quite a show.  I didn't get any photos of the fireworks this year, but here's a great one from last year...

July 4th fireworks at our house
Needless to say, it's been a busy couple of weeks and it will be nice to settle back into a routine and make some art!
See you soon.

♥ Lisa

14 comments:

  1. welcome back, my friend...

    i love bernadette's wallpaper and window!!

    happy getting settled back in... : )

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back home! Couldn't wait to hear how your visit was. Love this painting and the details you added to it all. Really like the fabric of her dress. You are doing such a great job with oils. Glad you had an awesome 4th. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missed you and am glad you are back. How on earth do you throw a party for 40 people and get a painting finished too? Wonder woman.
    I like this painting and the window thought I bet I would have liked it the other way too. I seem to like everything you do.
    How are the animals with the fireworks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely painting, Lisa. I like the sweet summery feel to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa!! i love the background of this painting.. enjoy your holidays.. :) I'll miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite lovely! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa I am glad you had a great time on your vacation. Sorry if this posts twice; for some reason the first comment didn't go on the wall. Love your new painting; beautiful as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your experimentation with the paint the scratches in the carpet and the thick palette knife applied paint of the curtains. You are definitely looking more confident with the oils. I wish I were as brave as you with my mark making.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the painting..so creative. Glad to know that you ha such a good visit with your pals! Happy Holiday to you ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh! again and again, I am in love...she is quite EXCEPTIONAL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, what a great way to celebrate your holiday! Bernadette is so cute! How do you think of the names for your paintings? Always wondered that? Love the faces! Take Care ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! The texture in the background is perfect! I'm beginning to like oils myself! Your friends did a wonderful job on their paintings as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This painting reminds me of the wallpaper in my parent's bedroom. My mother loved blue and big blowsy flowers like this, and she wore hats. Great work as always, glad your trip was to fun. xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. great painting..lots of movement in it

    ReplyDelete